Website des
Akademischen Auslandsamtes
Link: Zur Startseite | Logo: Pädagogische Hochschule Weingarten

Health insurance

In Germany you are obliged to have health insurance if you wish to study here. Without it, you cannot be enrolled.

Germany has a reciprocal social security agreement with some countries such as members of the European Union and the European Economic Area. If you are from a country in the European Union and if you have public health insurance, you can get this insurance coverage approved by a public health insurance company in Germany. For this, a European health insurance card (EHIC) is needed which you have to take with you to Germany.

It is possible that your insurance will not cover all costs in Germany. Before your arrival make sure you know exactly what services you are entitled to in Germany.

International students, whose (private or public) health insurance is not recognised in Germany, have to insure themselves in Germany. If the insurance is not recognised, we will assist international students in getting (public) health insurance after their arrival in Weingarten. The coverage will be approximately 82 EUR (01.01.2015) per month for students up to the age of 30.